View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
BLGuterl
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gontygirl View Post
I had the same problem with my little boy. He too has separation anxiety... He's a rescue and it is my first time dealing with a dog at 1 year of age, rather than raising a dog from a pup so I had no idea how this developed as I didn't raise this boy. He's still barking a ton and may always have this kind of separation issue, however I did notice a HUGE change in him once I taught him to love his crate. I crate him each time I leave and also he has a little radio or tv on. If it's the evening I make sure there is a lamp on. He also is lucky enough to have a "sister", our shih tsu mix, so they're together, but she's on the bed. I put him up on a sturdy chair that wraps around his crate so he's up at the same level as the bed and can see his sis. I mean, this has not stopped him from barking completely but it has calmed it down. I live in a house so he can bark inside of it as loud as he'd like... He does see me come back and is barking less and less. I know this because I have left him in the bedroom with my other dog while I watch a movie downstairs and over time I can hear the barking become lessened. I have had him a little over a month now. It also begins with controlling how much he barks when you are WITH him. I don't allow him to full on bark at all...he's allowed to watch and growl but NOT bark at all. I'm teaching him that there are boundaries and that I'M the one that will be in charge of things and that he can relax and trust that "I got it". He IS learning. He no longer barks when I'm around unless the doorbell rings and I have approved that. I hope I have helped even just a little...
Unfortunately, the crate is not her friend either. She hates it!!! Whines, howls, and cries the whole time she is in it... Still has the anxiety issues when I am out. Now she has started jumping up on the door, too. I have no idea what to do because sometimes I have to leave her home alone. I have to work on Fridays in the office starting in April & one week out of the month I have to go in the office every day!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!