View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
machi
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I'd first get him checked to be sure he has no irritation or problems that are teaching him that this form of activity is scratching his genital area. It might feel good to do it if his penis or urethra is irritated or inflamed.

Humping can become obsessive and annoying and - ouch - irritating to the penis and genital area of the humper. With a puppy, you just distract them each and every, each and every, each and every, each and every, each and every time he does it. Not one single time can you allow him to hump. You cannot let him get away with even once! Just take away the teddy for months, wash and put it away. Buy him some other, interactive toys and each and every single time he starts to do it just say "uh oh"(never yell or get mad - it will only excite him or scare him - won't teach), get up, direct him away from what he's humping and toss a ball around for him, give him a toy to chew, play tugowar or rough-house with him a bit - anything to get him actively doing something else and getting his mind off the humping. You may worry he will hump to get the play session but don't worry about that - just keep teaching him that every time he tries, you will interfere with an "uh oh" and over time, he will begin to catch himself before you intercede. You should just get up and get him a treat if you see him pull off or stop a hump. Don't excite him by praising or saying anything - just drop a treat for stopping himself if you see it. Over time, he'll just stop doing it because he's been trained he can't ever keep it up and is always stopped. Puppies usually just stop at some point if they aren't allowed to develop a habit of doing it.

If left to their own devices, some dogs will hump until they are exhausted, raw, try to hump every dog around and get in lots of trouble because of it, sometimes. Some people will kick at a humper.

Humping is annoying to people, can become very unpleasant/oppressive to other dogs he might be around in his life, can cause them to attack him to avoid it and the act is best left to association with breeding.

A lot of puppies hump out of boredom, so be sure that his life is full of obedience training, frequent walks, activities of all kinds, and interactive and chew toys that he can keep busy working on. Add in some cuddle sessions and it should keep his mind and body busy doing other things and learning how to behave rather than obsessing over one activity.
I did get him checked by the vet and he gave him a 10 out of 10 for health so an urinary infection or genital infection was ruled out (he has been doing this since I first got him at 9 weeks). He has millions of toys (well more like 25) that we alternate each week. He also gets obedience and he is a genius at it! ( we know sit, stay, wait, lie down, turn and sit, give paw, play dead- he is the fastest learner I ever had) He gets 3 walks a day one of which is at least 1 hour ( i was worried about this yet the vet said that he might be hyperactive since he does not get tired at all) I never push him more than he wants and he always lets me know if he is tired. He also gets the necessary sleep. In addition I am stimulating him mentally by giving him puzzles and he loves it. So from a point of view of activity and exercise he is quite set. I do take it away and hide it, yet he still finds it and if not he ends another victim ( i do take it away every time in a calm assertive manner and then he air humps for quite some while and looks at me with the most guilty expression) He does not hump anything else but fluffs. Hmm I hope he will grow out of it with some help from mommy and won't harm himself! Thank you for all the replies!!!
machi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!