Thread: Kids...yikes!
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
FirstYorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boyz
Do I need to take them to a day care center or something???
Something like that would probably be good. Outside a daycare center or a park that you know preschoolers frequent. I wouldn't get too close to begin with (for one thing, Riley might freak). Start from across the street. If Riley acts nervous, you're too close. Back up until Riley is comfortable. Then give the dogs treats.

Over the course of several days, hopefully you can get closer while giving treats. If Riley acts nervous, you're going too fast. Also, you want the dogs on leashes, not in your arms or in a carrier. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it will be well worth your effort. A dog who is afraid is MUCH more likely to bite than one who isn't! If a child should come running over, hold up your hand like a stop sign and say "STOP. He bites!" Riley isn't ready for sudden displays of affection from little strangers.

It's not uncommon for dogs to be afraid of preschoolers even when they are comfortable with older children. They sound different and look different than older kids. Preschoolers are also much more abrupt and unpredictable in their movements. Overall, much more scary!

Good luck!

Last edited by FirstYorkie; 02-06-2006 at 10:05 AM.
FirstYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!