View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

So much of getting something by a dog's fear or worry about something we must do to them is attitude. Just go into "teacher" mode, take a deep breath, calm yourself - I mean really calm yourself down and realize you are helping your dog by combing him and helping him overcome his fears and keeping his coat neat and healthy. He's got you dancing to his tune and his fear is winning and that's not good for him or anybody. Just as recommended by Deanna, go right on ahead and comb/brush but take it in little steps with a treat each time he's silent. It's just that basic. Brush/comb about 4 or 5 times and if he is quiet, treat him. Just barely brush/comb at first, almost just going through the motions and hardly touching his hair. If he whines out, just ignore it and brush again but keep going, just being certain you are not hurting him. Do not talk to him during the session - only good, positive words when he's done with his little short 30-second-to-start sessions but during the part he doesn't like - you stay silent and don't reinforce his negative fears with words from you - just ignore and go on. Just be silent until the little celebration part of the session starts. He'll learn to wait for that eagerly! He will!

The key here is going to be doing this very, very frequently until you desensitize him. I would brush/comb him once an hour all day long and keep the sessions no longer than a 30 seconds at first and very, very slowly working up to longer brushing/combing and in a few days, brush/combing more deeply, more intensely as he tolerates it. If he starts to whine or cry out, cut back to less time and intensity.

After each session, really, really, really praise and love, kiss him, give a couple more treats, give him a good tugowar session, chase him/let him chase you or throw a ball to chase - some form of very rough but fun play to get his mind off the session and work off his tension from the session - and then outside to potty. In time, your dog will come to understand that the brushing/combing sessions are very short and there are treats, loving praise from mommie and a fun and rousing play session afterward to work out his nerves and then a good turn outside. He'll begin to associate the grooming sessions with praise, celebration, fun play and treats and begin to think of these sessions positively.

It is so important that you do not feel sorry for your little guy and don't let his fear of being brushed/combed win. Just ignore his pitiful whines and cries and keep going as you very slowly work on him and he will learn that, hey, it doesn't really hurt, I'm getting ignored anyway and I get treats every so often and when the session is done, more treats, mommie praises, smiles and loves me a lot and then I get a good play session and then outdoors!

Some dogs actually do better when their eyes are covered during grooming. A dog blanket or small towel over his head can really help a dog not to see the grooming articles and just helps them when working with tools on them. Even when brushing the face, just let the edge of the blanket/towel lie over the eyes as you do the beard. Ignore this if it doesn't help you dog but things like this work with some dogs when clipping nails and grooming if they are fearful.

The biggest key is your attitude, ignoring the fuss he makes, tiny, short and barely-touching sessions that in time become longer and more intense as you work up to desensitizing him hourly to a bit of grooming with treats and rousing play after the sessions and treats even after a few strokes. If you work up slowly enough, you can teach a dog to grow to accept almost anything. This is one of the truisms of teaching a dog to accept something he doesn't like. Just work up to it very, very slowly and he will go with it in time.

If you can, get your dog's coat cut back as short as possible through this desensitization training so there is no matted hair to deal with. It will help him learn that there is just no pain associated with combing/brushing during this training session.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!