View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

The only way to determine if your dog's seizures are due to epilepsy is to rule out all medical causes of the seizures as epilepsy is a diagnosis of exclusion. My dog has epilepsy and has had all the tests.

If your dog had abnormal bile acids, then it is likely that your dog has a liver issue. Dog's without liver problems have normal bile acids (like my epileptic dog, for example).

The dog could have both epilepsy and MVD in which case you need to treat for both. If I were you, I would schedule a consultation with a board certified neurologist for an evaluation of your dog's seizures. Try to get a video if you can with your phone, as seeing the seizures is how they can definitively diagnose the type and severity of the seizures.

As for diet - I have no issues w/ the Hill's L/D diet and it worked very well for my MVD dog for a couple of years until she no longer tolerated the food due to allergies and another medical problem. I home cook for my dogs. I use a board certified veterinary nutritionist -- personally, I would not be interested in an alternative practitioners or holistic veterinarians to formulate a diet for my dog.

Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!