View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
rufus'dad
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Teeth

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

I feel that Rufus and I have met for a reason. Last fall, the last of my three dogs passed away. I'd taken care of Betty, a lhasa/cairn mix, for the last six years of her life. She died in October following a stroke. She was a stray when I found her, but my vet estimated her to be at least sixteen. She was preceded in death by Marty, a rescued collie/lab mix, who passed on in October 2004 at fifteen. My first dog, Bridget, was a spaniel mix who was my best friend since she was six weeks old in the spring of 1987. (She was a gift from my fourth-grade students.) She lived a long, happy life until her tired body finally shut down in July 2002.

Which brings Rufus into the picture at the time when the last of my kids has moved on. One door closes, another opens. It was a strange feeling to go from three dogs to two, two to one, and one to none, in the span of three years. And then all of a sudden I find myself in this huge room full of unhappy doggies all needing care and attention, with one in particular who seemed to need me most. I don't think it was at all accidental.

Reading through the threads on this forum has been a blessing! I'm relieved to see that a lot of Rufus' quirks and behaviors aren't all that unusual. I know that some of his naughtiness is pretty much due to lack of earlier training -- or acting out from post-traumatic stress -- but I'm relieved to see him settling a little more each week. I have to say I'm impressed most with his courage. This little guy has been through a lot, but is still dedicated to being my "protector." I don't think a hundred-pound pit bull could do a better job.

Now if I could just get him to quit throwing his nylabone at me when I'm working on the PC...<BONK>

Gotta go.
rufus'dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!