View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

I think you will find that opinions vary concerning dogs and how to train, groom, and handle them. Even on this site there are a variety of opinions about these things.

I would advise you to read through the various threads, library and "sticky" threads in each forum area.

Many people seem to have problems house training their Yorkies. Actually I found my little girl to be one of the easiest dogs I have ever had to house train. She was over 13 weeks old when I got her so she was past the infant stage and had experience using puppy pads when I got her. You cannot let an untrained puppy have free run of the home until it knows how to let you know it has to go. Using puppy training pads is very helpful, especially during the first several months. A young Yorkie puppy may need to potty even more often than every 2 hours. A full grown Yorkie can usually hold it for several hours depending on their food and water intake.

I trained Gracie to use commercial puppy training pads. When she was about 6 months old I started taking her on regular walks outside and she learned to potty outside. I still use pads for when the weather is bad or when I am not going to be home for a few hours.

I have heard that male Yorkies have a tendency to want to mark their territory. Whatever the sex of the dog you get I would suggest that you get it spayed or neutered so the pet does not have to deal with hormonal issues or face the possibility of uterine cancer or infections. Please do not take the chance of having a female in heat around your whole male.

I have never had an odor problem with my girl. I bathe her weekly using all natural shampoo and conditioner. I use a conditioning spray when I comb and brush her. She is groomed daily. It takes only a few minutes if done daily. Never let a dog with a coat longer than an inch go without being combed and brushed daily. Using shampoo or conditioners with sulfates and other harsh chemicals will strip the skin and coat and cause dry skin and shedding issues. All natural products are actually good for the pet's skin and coat.

Gracie has slept with me at night since her first night home. I have pet steps so she can get up and down without having to jump. She has never had an accident on my bed. I did watch her closely when she was a puppy though. Small dogs do have to potty more often than a larger dog but they can be trained if you are vigilant and consistent with your training. Some people get a 6 foot long leash and attach it to them selves so the puppy goes with them where ever they go. That way the puppy is under close observation, the owner can get the pup to the proper place before it has a potty accident. The puppy is constantly learning while with it's owner while they learn very little shut in a cage or pen. Of course you need and exercise pen for when you cannot watch the puppy. Now that Gracie is fully trained she has free run of the home and does not have accidents.

My girl has never marked. I think that would be quite rare.
She is very loyal and loving. She loves all people and animals.

Again, daily grooming is very important. Get some good quality dog grooming tools and it will make things much easier for both of you. Even if you have your Yorkie's hair cut short it can tangle easily. Use quality conditioners.

One of the most important issues you are facing is finding a good breeder. I would look into the dog clubs in your country that show dogs. I'm don't know what the major registry for dogs is in your country but you should be able to find it fairly easily. They will be putting on dog shows and have representatives in several regions of your country. These people can usually direct you to someone who knows how to properly breed a purebred dog so you can buy a good quality pup free of the many genetic defects that many Yorkies are exhibiting right now. Since only a small percentage of the puppies show/breeders produce are used for showing they sell the majority of their pups as pets. Yorkies are very popular world wide right now and many bad people are taking advantage of buyers because of this.

Make sure you really want a terrier. They are a feisty group and sometimes hard to train because of their strong personalities. If you are up for a challenge then a terrier may be for you. Personally, I love the extra sass that my little one has but some people do not appreciate a stubborn streak in a dog. They do tend to talk back quite a bit, too.

You will see a wide variety of experiences with these dogs. I can only tell you that you will save yourself a lot of trouble by finding and excellent breeder who will help you make the right choice and who will be there for you if you run into trouble or have any questions Dogs that come from a quality, healthy background tend to have far less issues than those who do not have such an advantage.

If you fly with your Yorkie make sure you can take it in the cabin with you. In this country dogs are allowed in the cabin on many airlines if they are in an approved airline carrier that fits under the seat.

I hope you are able to find just the right new puppy for you and your other dog.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!