View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 09:11 AM   #1
schatzie
Moderator Emeritus

Exclamation WARNING: Canine Flu Going Around!

I received this message from a friend of mine who also is a breeder. I thought Id pass it along as it is very important information.

There's a new "canine flu" that's going around and so far there is no vaccine. There was a big article on it in the 9-22-2004 edition of the Claremore news. The scientific name is
Campybacteriosis. It is also known as Dog Show Crud because it originated in dog shows on the west coast. According to the article, they've been dealing with it in Arkansas for the past two years. They have parvo like symptoms and apparently, it is getting misdiagnosed. Not trying to make you panic or have anything else to worry about (because I thought--great one more thing as a breeder that I have to worry about!!!!) but I wanted to make sure you had heard about it because it's striking pets as well as kennels. Apparently, it is air-borne so
it can come in on the wind and the treatment for it is simple and effective--rehydration and antibiotics such as Tetracycline and Erythromycin-- timing is crucial. They are advising that even if you've vaccinated an animal for parvo, if you notice your pet or dog not feeling well--vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy--to have them checked out---there is only about a 24 hour window to get them treatment, otherwise the treatment won't help.

The article (and it was even on the news on tv) said for more information about the "Canine Flu" visit the Wildheart Ranch online at www.wildheartranch.org, or call Hooves, Paws and Claws at 918-342-1509.
You might want to check with your vet clinic and make sure they are aware of it and keeping updated on it and give them above web site and phone number.They've had at least 25 canine deaths in and around Rogers County during the past few week. We're about one mile from the county line. They are attributing the appearance of it in Rogers County to the unusual summer weather. (they state that Oklahoma's summer weather being similar to that of the west coast this year, conditions were ideal for this bacteria to grow and thrive here.)
They also said that this should be a "Red Alert" to all veterinarians and pet owners as what makes this so dangerous is that, by the time you test the animal to determine what kind of bacteria it has, the animal could already be dead. So anyway, don't panic, just heads up and be aware.
schatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!