View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
rufus'dad
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 036 New Kid in the Neighborhood

Hi. I'm Eric. I'm also a new yorkie "dad." I found this site with a Google search (is there anything you can't find that way?) and am interested in learning as much as I can about this fascinating little guy.

Rufus is about two or three. I say "about" because he's one of about 120 dogs and cats rescued from New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and flown here to Michigan by the local Humane Society, so his life before the storm is kind of a mystery. I was one of a group of volunteers who spent nearly three months caring for these pets. There were all breeds and all ages. Many had health issues from exposure to the water. Each had a notice posted on petfinder.com which resulted in reuniting some with their owners. Others, like Rufus, were put up for adoption when no owner came forward or could be located.

When he arrived here, Rufus wore an "Elizabethan" or "lampshade" collar because he would bite anyone who'd handle him. He was dehydrated, had pretty serious infections in both eyes, and his coat was was stained and entirely matted. He was underweight. He had no collar or tags. Like a lot of the other Katrina dogs, Rufus had been housed at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales, Louisiana, after being rescued from his flooded neighborhood. Based on what information I have, he'd been on his own for over a week by the time he was picked up. Once at the Society, he was vaccinated and given a thorough checkup. His coat was shorn off -- really short -- and his eyes started to clear with antibiotic treatments. His temperment with the volunteers was fickle, and he was nicknamed "Groucho." (I started calling him Rufus because he seemed to like the sound of the name, and... he looked like a "Rufus".) He absolutely hated some volunteers, would tolerate others, and with a select few (including me and the veternarian), he was a sweetheart. He had his own enclosure in a large area that housed about 30 doggies. Needless to say, it was quite loud in there much of the time. Rufus and his sidekick in the neighboring enclosure, a chihuahua we affectionately named "Mister Nippy" were among the loudest dogs and usually instigated the uproars.

Fast forward: In mid-December, I adopted Rufus after letting him stay in my home as a "foster" pet. Rufus got along well with Veronica, a ten year-old Himalayan (yep, stray kitten dropped off at a local farm) and Veronica puts up with him. He's putting on some weight and his coat is finally growing out. He's been neutered and is mostly housebroken. He's in his third week of obedience classes. He's quite a handsome kid and draws attention on walks. He's getting used to the snow, hates squirrels and the neighbor's tiger cat, and has his own faux sherpa coat to keep him warm.

But there are challenges, too, and that's why I'm here. Rufus is aggressive towards most women (I think he may have had some maltreatment in the past). He has bitten when he feels threatened, usually with warning. When he's really wound up, he'll transfer his anxiety and lash out at whoever's there -- and immediately feel shamed and sorry. He's the most vocal dog I've ever met. He's not afraid of anything. He's incredibly quick to catch onto new activities and insists on a daily routine. He's not dog aggressive but likes to pretend he's a tough dude. He's great on walks and knows how to pace himself perfectly. He thinks he owns the neighborhood. He's a velcro-puppy when I'm home and follows me everywhere. He now sleeps through the night without freaking out over small noises. He's losing his aversion to car rides. He'll look right at me and do something he knows is not a good idea, then he'll run over to me to show how proud he is of his misbehavior. He's impossible to stay cross with.

In short, he's the most complicated dog I've ever met and he makes me very happy. We're working on a lot of things and taking baby steps. We're both lucky to have found each other.

Any sage advice from veteran yorkie parents is most welcome.

Thank you!

(I'll post some pictures after he's a little more presentable.)
rufus'dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!