View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Buster Brown
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

It could be LP or arthritis even in a puppy. I heard the clicking sounds with Buster when he was a puppy as well. I think it is the joints cartilage popping. Buster eventually was diagnosed with LP which is Luxating Patella and arthritis when he was 1 1/2. The bottom of the knee cap is a V with LP the V is too shallow/narrow so the top bone slides out of the V. It usually pops back in. When this happens you will see your dog extend their leg to the side stiffly, or hop on one leg until the knee cap pops back into the groove of the V. LP is graded 1-4 with the lower grades 1-2 you usually restrict jumping on/off furniture, fast cornering/skidding on wood floors. Adding supplements like Glucosamine is helpful, I use Cosequin. Usually the leg will pop out and back in with no serious consequences. It will wear down the knee cap so arthritis is a possibility. For grade 3-4 surgical repair is often recommended. They deepen the groove of the V and sometimes stabilize it with a pin. It is best to see a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon for the final diagnosis and the surgery. They will be restricted to crate rest for 8 weeks after surgery with gradual weight bearing short walks but NO PLAYING - RUNNING- JUMPING as this can undo the repair. The clicking in Buster's front legs is from arthritis in his wrists due to poor breeding. Buster had LP grade 3/4 in his back legs we chose to operate on the leg that was giving him problems and wait on the other leg. If you are considering getting insurance get it (and wait until the it kicks in) before you have the LP diagnosed. If the problem is diagnosed before you get insurance it is considered a preexisting condition so it would not be covered. Also make sure the insurance covers genetic defaults. I have Petplan and they covered Buster. I have heard good things about Trupanion as well.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!