Thread: Colitis
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
ke1030
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Severe Colitis

Hi...I have read lots of posts about severe colitis in dogs/Yorkies...I am the owner of a Yorkie that has had severe colitis for several years. I had tried every diet possible and nothing helped. Several rounds of Metronidazole (Flagyl), and the colitis continued to get worse. My little Yorkie was absolutely miserable....bloody diarrhea with loads of mucus and horrible sounds coming from his belly. Finally ended up at the emergency vet. First thing he did was treat him for whip worms ( 3 days of medicine....followed by3 more days a month later.....then finally 3 more days 2 months later.....just to make sure they get all the worms/eggs) It has been a total turn around for my little yorkie....perfect stools with no further problems. It has been 5 weeks with no problems yet.....unbelievable!! As my yorkie is a senior, the vet said if has any further problems, we could put him on a round of Metrondidazole for a few days every week just to settle things down...but so far things are perfect!

Also the vet said that whip worms are not easily picked up by the routine stool analysis. I would definitely recommend anyone whose dog is suffering with uncontrollable colitis to have them treated for whip worms....even just to rule out....I wish other vets I had suggested de-worming...it would have saved my little yorkie (and his owner) a lot of misery over the last few years!!
ke1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!