View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Wow. Thanks so much for the wonderful advice Jeannie. Wallee did learn the watch command in puppy class and when I have treats and am training him he does I wonderfully. In fact at puppy class the trainer there said he had great focus on me. I never thought to apply this to his excitement. I have to start learning to have treats with me more often I think as he is very treat driven. Thank you for reminding me that I can overcome this without drastic formal training.
Basic obedience teaches dogs impulse control and the basic concepts of how to do something to get something they want. It's basic reward for performance or pay for play. It's simply to just slowly lead them along from an unwanted behavior into a wanted behavior using a reward they will work to control themselves to receive. Find out what they work for - usually it is food - and you are always in control. I ALWAYS have treats with me in a plastic baggy when I'm out with Tibbe just in case. But eventually, they become so well behaved and in tune with you, they know what to do and watch you for direction. Usually only a look now at Tibbe is all it takes to settle him down. BUT WE DID A LOT OF TRAINING TO GET HERE. I am not shouting that but just stressing how much work it took to get a wild, screaming, biting, fighting, unsocialized, kennel-crazy, unhousebroken and frightened 9 month old dog to one that is calm, obedient, well-behaved while still being happy, healthy and full of life. It's all in the training and how rewarding it is inside for them to connect with you on that level of the mind. They begin to sense what you want and expect and want to do it right first, even before they are told! It's really magic when you get there.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!