View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
bobohyde
Donating YT Addict

Unhappy I think I'm losing my baby

I don't think my boy has much time left. On Tuesday he started coughing. It sounded like he had something caught in his throat. On Wednesday, it was obvious it might possibly be more. Up several times during the night, drinking more water, tummy feeling tight. Called the vet, but phones down. Big snowstorm here had large power outages and trees down. Convinced myself Thursday was slightly better. Got an appointment with the vet at 2pm. The vet thought he had fluid and took an X-ray. Showed a pleural effusion., Sent us immediately over to an internist. Internist drew some fluid and fedexed it immediately out, along some blood work. Won't have those results until probably Monday. Fluid possible causes: low protein, high pressure or tumor in chest. Columbo had slightly low protein a month ago at senior check up. No tumors seen in X-ray, no enlarged heart or masses, so starting with looking for cause of low protein. Internist checked protein again and this time much lower, 1.2. Protein can be lost 3 ways: through the liver, the kidneys or GI. Liver was ruled out last month with a bile acid test. So she suspects a protein losing enteropathy or nephropathy. She was reserved about giving a prognosis until she has a diagnosis, but everything I've read says prognosis is poor. Maybe a couple months. He was fine a few days ago. She said she has seen this with no symptoms before. When she has a diagnosis, we will attempt to stabilize him and manage it with medication and diet. I am heartbroken. How can this happen to him? My husband and I can't stop crying. We lost our golden retreiver to cancer at age 10 exactly 10 years ago. Just like him, I envisioned Columbo living to a ripe old age. Columbo turned 9 in October. He had both his knees done last year and was all set to live happily for many more years. He's uncomfortable because the fluid makes breathing harder. He's doesn't feel good, but is still eating, peeing and pooping normal. I've searched the internet and can find no encouragement. Please pray for my sweet, helpless little boy. I don't want to lose my boy like this, not now. Not this young. Oh god, what am I going to do?
bobohyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!