View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Default Misc Poisonous / Dangerous Substances and/or dangerous creatures

Misc Poisonous / Dangerous Substances and/or dangerous creatures

Anti-freeze

Ethylene glycol is one of the many chemicals used for antifreeze. Your common anti-freeze used in cars has a very sweet taste to pets and is extremely deadly. If you spill a little anti-freeze onto the ground in a puddle, or if you change our anti-freeze and leave it in an open container, your pet will find this and it is very deadly. If you suspect anti-freeze poisoning, call your veterinarian immediately.

Christmas Tree Hazards

Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea, if ingested.

Electrical cords - Avoid animal exposure to electrical cords. If they are chewed they could electrocute your pet. Cover up or hide electrical cords and never let your pet chew on them.

Ribbons or tinsel can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. This is a very common situation for kittens!

Batteries contain corrosives, and if ingested they can cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue, and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract.

Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.

Liquid potpourris

Popular household fragrances commonly used during the holiday season. Pets are often exposed to liquid potpourri by direct ingestion from simmer pots or spills, by rubbing against leaky bottles or simmer pots containing the potpourri, or from spilling the containers upon themselves. Oral exposures result during grooming. Exposure of pets to some types of liquid potpourris can result in severe oral, dermal and ocular damage.

Ice melting products

Irritating to skin and mouth. Depending on the actual ingredient of the ice melt and the quantity, signs of ingestion would include excessive drooling, depression, vomiting or even electrolyte imbalances.

Rat and mouse killers

When using rat and mouse bait, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your companion animals.

Pesticides

Make sure your pets do not go on lawns or in gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides until the time listed on the label by the manufacturer. If you are uncertain about the usage of any product, contact the manufacturer for clarification before using it. Always store pesticides, fertilizers and herbicides in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. The most serious problems resulting from fertilizer ingestion in pets is usually due to the presence of heavy metals such as iron. Ingestion of large amounts of fertilizer could cause severe gastric upset and possibly gastrointestinal obstruction.

The most dangerous forms of pesticides include: snail bait containing metaldehyde, fly bait containing methomyl, systemic insecticides containing disyston or disulfaton, zinc phosphide containing mole or gopher bait and most forms of rat poisons. When using pesticides place the products in areas that are totally inaccessible to your companion animals. Always store pesticides in secured areas.

Toad Poisoning

Don't Laugh At least nine different species of toads can poison a curious dog

Snakes

Over 10,000 snake bites of domestic animals occur annually in this country. Statistics show that dogs are bitten ten times more frequently than humans. In the northern states, this is not as big of a problem as it is in the southern, more temperate climates. We lived in Florida for years in a rural area and my husband and children spent much time in the woods and small streams. We had three different occassions when our dogs were bitten by snakes. Luckily, they were all bit in the extremities, which immediately swelled. The dogs all survived, although we did lose a couple of cats this way. Once again, if you suspect a bite of some sort to your pet, contact your vet immediately.

Scorpions

Scorpion stings release a neuro toxin into the body which can be especially dangerous to small dogs. Call your vet immediately!

Large Birds

Although very uncommon, we have heard of at least two cases where small puppies or dogs were carried away by predatory birds. We recently placed a Yorkie puppy in a home where the previous dog was lost due to a hawk carrying it off. This is something to watch out for with your small animals.

Alligators

Although not a problem in the north, it is not unusual to hear of an alligator coming into a yard and pulling a dog into the water. I am personally aware of this happening a half a dozen times when we lived in Florida. A good friend of mine was sitting in his condominium having breakfast with his wife and they had a poodle on a yard screw in their back yard. They heard the dog yipe and looked up just in time to see a 6-7 foot gator drag their pet into the water. A barking dog is known to be one of the best ways to attract alligators.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°

Last edited by Wylie's Mom; 03-03-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!