View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
tarawood
YT 500 Club Member

Default Flea/Tick Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itspuppyluv
Orinskye is right. They are all toxic. You can find websites about dogs getting terribly sick or dying from Bio Spot, Advantage, Zodiac (which contains permethrin right? I've read terrible things about that). Even Frontline which I thought was a better choice. Some dogs do fine with these products, tragically some don't.
Well, said itspuppyluv. I just wanted to add that Bio Spot also contains permethrin (just like Zodiac), unless it is the Bio Spot formula that is specifically for cats and ferrets -- it does not contain permethrin because permethrin is really toxic to both of them). Advantage and Frontline each use a different form of neurotoxin that has an affinity for insect receptors rather than mammal receptors. I totally agree with itspuppyluv that you can read bad things about a lot of these products. When you read that stuff, keep in mind that the toxicity of the dose depends on several things such as the size of the animal, the overall health of the animal, and the age of the animal. So, just because it was toxic to someone else's pet, it might not be to yours. Sorry, I can't advise you as to what works best with your yorkie, because I'm a new yorkie owner myself, and have been researching products to figure out what to use on my puppies too. I would just listen to the "senior yorkie yakkers" here as I'm sure they have had experience with several of the products and know which one generally works best for most yorkies.

Last edited by tarawood; 04-16-2005 at 06:05 AM.
tarawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!