View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Lisa and Pic
♥ Piccolo & Vivi ♥
Donating Member

Default Vivi Got Into the Heartgard Medicine...

...And unfortunately it was human error, for the most part. I came home from church yesterday and found two Heartgard boxes ripped to shreds on the bedroom floor and on our bed. So, I collected the pieces to try and figure out how many were missing. Besides the ones I gave to each of our dogs yesterday morning, as their monthly prevention, there were two more missing. The ER in our area told me to call poison control. Did you know you have to pay $40 to consult with the center? Anyway, it was well worth it.

I did find out that an overdose would take at least 7 pieces of Heartgard (under 25 lb. package.) She told me that if we would have had stronger doses for bigger dogs, there could have been a huge problem. I had to watch for vomiting or seizures last night, but I believe Vivi only had an upset stomach. So, Vivi did not have to go to the ER and have her stomach pumped and I am thankful for that.

The other good news is she is fine today and I imagine she found the Heartgard might tasty.

I am mad at myself and for not doing a better job securing the medicine. I thought that if the medicine was in the box, in the foil, in a basket, and up on the filing cabinet it would be secure and I was so wrong. We also forgot to gate the pups in the kitchen yesterday, so Vivi had a double chance for getting into trouble. I have now put what is left of the medicine in a secure drawer, by-the-way.

Anyway, I am posting this because I do not recall anyone having something like this happen, and wanted it available, if it could help someone in the future. (And to remind people to double secure things like this.) Honestly, I am ashamed for not being a better pet parent, but thankful that Vivi is okay.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!