Thread: Licking Paws
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcowsmoo View Post
He did mention a yeast infection from damp paws during these winter months as another possibility. I do dry his paws when he comes in and such, but if he is licking them they get wet.

I had read on here somewhere that many use Bag Balm for cracked and irritated paws, so I have been applying that every day, however, if it is a yeast infection perhaps that would be keeping it too moist?

I just wasn't sure about the wipes and what was in them, but it does say antifungal so perhaps I will give them a try for a week or so and see if it doesn't help.

As I said, I don't know much about allergies. It just seemed odd to me that he just started licking right after grooming and before that did'nt seem to have any other problems. I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo Puppy up until October and then Grain Free for Small Breeds since October. I give him a couple slices of banana a day and sometimes a few chopped up pieces of apple and some Zukes treats daily but all that has also been the same for quite some time and this problem just started.
Allergies are weird they can literally develop overnight. Since it happened after grooming, I'm wondering if something happened there, did another dog have a yeast infection and they didn't clean the table or crate well enough? Yes, bag balm is a good product and will help with dryness, but it's not antifungal, so won't help with yeast infection. That's the reason I mentioned coconut oil, it's good for dry skin, like his pads, and it also antifungal, so it might help, but because it's oil, and it might encourage him to lick. I really think you ought to give the pads the vet suggested a try. Best of luck, and God Bless you for being such a great mom to this little guy.

Join today and remove this ad!