Thread: Licking Paws
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
coolcowsmoo
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Licking Paws

Okay, here's the problem (with some background info to help) sorry it's lengthy, but we're new at this puppy game and quite unsure of most things. So hoping for some help and would appreciate any advice or experience.

We got Avery last May. He came to us matted and not well cared for. He had an area on his back that had hardly and any hair and was dry. We immediately took him to the vet had his necessary shots and the vet tested for mange which was negative. He then told us it was probably allergies and gave us some allergy medication (pills). I was unsure about putting him on medication right away so first we had him shaved for the matting (and since groom him daily) and I switched his food from some cheap stuff that the people who didn't want him gave us to Blue Grain Free. The bad hair area grew back just beautifully and his coat is great looking now. I should mention that he hardly ever has any issues with sneezing, coughing or itching, then or now. Had a few feet, face and fanny and nail trims since, but nothing major.

Fast forward to three weeks ago when I noticed his hair was getting kind of long and especially between his paw pads so I took him to a new place for a grooming. About three days later I notice he was licking his paws a lot whenever he was laying around. When I tried to check them out he got really defensive so I knew something was wrong. After coaxing I noted that the bottom of the paws were grey/black with some tiny cracks here and there, but nothing major) but if I spread the pads apart it was pink and in some areas a bit red (especially after his licking episodes). My thoughts were that they may have irritated him in those areas when clipping the long hair out of there or perhpas because we live in a cold/snowy area that his walks were irritating this area (although I dry his feet whenever we come in from wet outside and if I think he has come into any rock salt on our walks I wash them off and dry them)

I decided to take him to the Vet to be sure. The vet did a quick check and then said that it was probably allergies and wanted to give him a steroid shot and some medication and if that didn't help do some allergy testing. I asked if he could be treated with something topically on the paws first to see if that didn't help and he prescribed Mal-A-Ket wipes twice daily. Active ingredients: 2% acetic acid; 2% chlorhexidene; 1% ketoconazole? I haven't used it yet. Was wondering if any one has?

It just feels to me that he doesn't really show what I woud think would be allergy symptons... sneezing or coughing often, doesn't throw up at all, no dry itchy skin problems anymore, etc. Although, I don't know too much about any of this so that's why I'm asking for your experience.

Thanks in advance for any help any one can offer. Oh, and I should mention that he appears to have no trouble walking. He loves walks outside and goes crazy if we even put on our walking shoes.....
coolcowsmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!