Thread: Satin Balls
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko1125 View Post
Does having them on a feeding schedule help them gain weight? Because my yorkie is only 4 and a half pounds and I wanted to put weight on her so I put her on blue buffalo wilderness over a month ago and she hasn't gained even a half a pound.

Also I was concerned that just putting my sisters dog on higher calorie food wouldn't help her gain weight fast enough for the puppies. I've also read that you shouldn't put a pregnant dog on puppy food because you don't want to increase the calcium intake till after the puppies are born because then the mother would have issues producing enough milk for the puppies.
I've read that you shouldn't give them calcium supplements because it can increase the risk for eclampsia, but are you sure puppy food has higher calcium?

"Over-supplementation of calcium during pregnancy may increase the risk of eclampsia. There is a complex way the body maintains the proper amount of calcium in the blood. The body is constantly adding calcium to bones and then removing it, as needed. This is regulated by a hormone produced by the parathyroid gland, called parathyroid hormone. If a dog receives increased amounts of calcium during pregnancy, her body's production of parathyroid hormone greatly decreases. When the dog suddenly needs large amounts of calcium for milk production, the system is not ready to start removing it from the bone. This is because it takes some time for the parathyroid gland to start producing the hormone again. Because of the lack in parathyroid hormone, the blood calcium level suddenly drops, and produces the signs of eclampsia.

So, adequate amounts of calcium need to be given during pregnancy, but not enough to slow down the production of parathyroid hormone. This means calcium supplements are generally not recommended. Also, it is important for the calcium and phosphorus in the diet to be at the correct ratio of 1:1 (i.e.; 1 part calcium to 1 part phosphorus). Vitamin D must also be present in adequate amounts. "

Eclampsia (Puerperal Tetany, Milk Fever, Hypocalcemia) in Dogs

Puppy foods are usually higher in protein and higher in fat, but have a quality puppy food will have a controlled amount of calcium and phosphorus in a balanced ratio.

Has your sister taken the dog to the vet? Sometimes, a spay is suggested for the health of the dog.

Join today and remove this ad!