View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
kimp5
YT 500 Club Member

Default help with water drinking

My gal is restricted to a crate for 6 weeks due to leg surgery. She gets plenty of "out time" for a good scratch and hugs.
anyway in the last couple days she is refusing her water in a bowl. She will lick it off my hand but wont drink from the bowl. She used to drink around 2 full bowls a day. I do have a hanging water bottle in her crate which I suspect she is drinking from when im not looking as it has gone down and I dont think its due to leakage. (i have seen her use it when im out of the room & thats what she drank out of in her last home, I put it back up because they didnt want her spilling her water onto her stitches)She is eating and peeing fine. I have resorted to mixing her breakfast/dinner with homemade no salt turkey broth with plenty of water that after a few looks of "no thanks" she gobbles up and licks the bowl. She has no signs of dehydration.
Is she trying to punish me a little or is it maybe she requires less because she is barely moving? (dr.'s orders) How muchwater should a non excercising yorkie need? She was drinking a ton the first week but maybe that was due to the antibiotics and anesthesia? Or am I spoiling her by giving in to her? Maybe she is getting plenty? Its so hard.....aarghh..
kimp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!