Thread: What do I do?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I would suggest that if the dog puked blood or what looks like coffee grounds in the vomit, go to an Emergency Vet now. If it was normal vomit, see #11 below. Bear in mind that your dog can become dehydrated and very ill if she is vomiting often so if she's vomited more than twice in the last 24 hours, I would seek the attention of a vet, especially if there are ANY more symptoms such as refusing food, water, sleepiness, weakness/inability to stand, pale or tacky gums.

From Find A Vet:

These 13 Dog Symptoms Need Immediate Attention From Your Vet | Find A Vet

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) warns that pet parents should immediately take their dogs to a veterinarian or emergency animal hospital if their pets are displaying any of the following symptoms:

1. Severe bleeding or bleeding that lasts longer than 5 minutes
2. Choking or difficulty breathing, or continuous coughing and gagging
3. Bleeding from your dog’s nose, mouth or rectum; coughing up blood; or blood in his urine
4. Inability to urinate or defecate, or obvious pain when doing so
5. Eye injuries *(Or eye discoloration, swelling, prolonged squinting)
6. Your dog ate something poisonous, such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.*(Including foreign objects, human/other medicine not currently prescribed for the dog)
7. Seizures and/or staggering
8. Fractured bones, severe limping or your dog cannot move his leg(s)
9. Obvious signs of pain or anxiety *(In addition, toy breeds may exhibit shaking/trembling with pain or anxiety)
10. Heat stress or heatstroke
11. Severe vomiting or diarrhea (more than twice in a 24-hour period, or if it is combined with illness or any of these other conditions)
12. Refusal to drink water for more than 24 hours *(16 hours for toy breeds as they dehydrate quickly)
13. Unconsciousness

*Recommendations/clarifications added by YorkieTalk.com members

“The bottom line is that any concern about your pet’s health warrants, at minimum, a call to your veterinarian,” the AVMA notes.

For more information about these and other dog health conditions, visit HOW TO Topics: A to Z or submit a question to i Love Dogs’ Ask a Vet.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!