View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #14
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjane View Post
Ann,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I now feel better equipped to approach the situation. When I get home today I will go through all of the information and put together a list that will (hopefully) not overwhelm my mom. Thank you for taking the time and for caring about my boy. I will update you and the rest of the kind people in this forum as things develop.

I can't respond to everyone now but I am deeply touched by the love and compassion of this community.
You're so welcome .

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjane View Post
Ann,

My mom said that he has never been diagnosed with a thyroid issue but that she wouldn't be surprised. She became overwhelmed by some of the questions I asked when I spoke with her this afternoon and I wasn't even working from your list directly. I was asking about his eating patterns today and his behavior in general.

She mentioned that he did not finish his breakfast this morning. He left half or maybe a little bit less than half. He did the same thing yesterday and it's unlike him. She said today he slept a lot. While I was on the phone she broke up a Milkbone cookie for him. He used to break them up himself but Mom does it for him now to make the chewing easier. She set it down in front of him and he sniffed it and walked away. That, to me, is a massive red flag. He lives for the Milkbones.

I am getting the sense that he may not have much time left. Mom says his breathing patterns haven't changed but I told her to look out for that since I have done some reading and it has been mentioned as a major sign of the end (if I'm wrong, please let me know).

I will be looking at flights tonight and booking something for early this coming week. I need to see him and give him whatever love he's willing to accept at this point. He doesn't like being touched a lot because of his skin condition but he might make an acception for me a few times. I just want him to smell me again and feel me there. I also want to be there for my mom to talk about the reality of the situation. Perhaps we will take him to the vet together but I'm not sure how openminded she would be about that.

I don't know how close he is to the end but I really hope to make it back in time to bestow some love upon him. I'm getting over a cold and I'm wondering if I'll be good to fly by Tuesday evening. That would be ideal.

Thank you again. Let me know if any of the new info I shared strikes you in any way. And please say hi to Wylie for me. What a lucky pup to have a mom so loving and educated.
Aw, your post is so heartfelt and it makes me realize, once again, how unfair it is that these precious little beings have shorter lives than we do. They give us such unconditional love. It's very hard to think of them aging, or watch them aging...when you want them there forever.

That is indeed strange that his eating is suddenly a bit off. And yes you're very correct - when dogs avoid their food, it's a big red flag that something is wrong. It does sound like he has something else going on here, but it's hard to say if it's just a little, quick tummy bug/issue...or something bigger. His age, as you know, causes all those additional concerns like you mentioned above (ie, how much time he has left).

I'm so glad you're able to fly home and see him and your Mom. It must mean so much to your Mom bc I'm sure she's overwhelmed and wants to do the right thing both by Toto and by you. A trip to the vet would be great, bc at least then the vet could give some guidance as to whether or not they think Toto has a lot of time left, or not...it can be hard to judge those things though. The vet could help with the skin condition, so that may give him some relief while you're still there and able to hold him. A steroid shot may give him more immediate relief too (in addition to an antibiotic, if that's what the skin needs).

I hope the trip goes well, please let us know what happens if/when you can. As for that Wylie man, I am indeed lucky to be 'owned' by him !

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!