View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Mistymillar
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahndmp View Post
I don't think docking is anyhting like pulling legs off of an insect. He was sedated, given pain pills (can't remember the name) for three days and monitored for pain and infection. He's still taking his antibiotic. This was a strictly cosmetic procedure, as he's not a ratter like the ancestors. I think, but am not sure it originated from them being ratter and acted as a handle for the person handling them to get them out of rat tunnels (seem to recall reading that somewhere). Pilot is doing great. He didn't yelp, squeal or show discomfort when the vet removed the bandage. The only time he showed pain was when he would bite his bandage like it was a toy. He did that two, maybe three times. He's still his spunky self, He is wagging it already, just it looks funny as it's bald. I wanted him to match the standard, so wanted his tail docked, the US standard still requires it.
Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have added the insect bit. I really didn't mean to infer any cruelty to your baby at all, I understand that this procedure was carried out with all the best veterinary procedures and your baby was in the best hands, I was just stating my alternative opinion about why we do this at all.
I really didn't mean to upset you and am sorry if I did. I have always been very confused and uncomfortable about tail docking.
Xoxo
Mistymillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!