View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Leahndmp
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymillar View Post
I hope your baby heals really quickly and wags his little tail profusely soon.

We don't dock in UK at any age or any breed now so our standard doesn't require it. I personally do not understand why this practice started in the first place as I believe that unless there are life threatening or quality of life medical circumstances there is no need at all to amputate any mammal, animal, bird, fish or reptile. I also particularly despise the acceptance of little children pulling the legs off insects or squidging worms or even cockroaches.

I know there is a constant debate around this in US and really do hope that the registrative bodies will continually review this practice.

I love my baby's tail, curling over his back and continually on the move. But really do hope your baby feels better soon.
Xoxo
I don't think docking is anyhting like pulling legs off of an insect. He was sedated, given pain pills (can't remember the name) for three days and monitored for pain and infection. He's still taking his antibiotic. This was a strictly cosmetic procedure, as he's not a ratter like the ancestors. I think, but am not sure it originated from them being ratter and acted as a handle for the person handling them to get them out of rat tunnels (seem to recall reading that somewhere). Pilot is doing great. He didn't yelp, squeal or show discomfort when the vet removed the bandage. The only time he showed pain was when he would bite his bandage like it was a toy. He did that two, maybe three times. He's still his spunky self, He is wagging it already, just it looks funny as it's bald. I wanted him to match the standard, so wanted his tail docked, the US standard still requires it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!