Thread: giving him up
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
MishyMish
o°.Reign Rules My ♥.°o
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilize View Post
I was in the same position as you are when my first Yorkie was about a year old. You have to understand that he's not doing this to get back at you. He is just frustrated and he is taking it out on whatever is near him when you're away. You can definitely fix this and keep your puppy! I am very proud to say that my Yorkie is still with me after more than six years.

No dog is untrainable.

Here's what I did:

1. No more free feeding. I am the boss, I control the food and toys.

2. No more freebies. Every single thing he wants, he has to earn. Want to go outside? Please sit first. Want to play? Please sit quietly first.

3. Clicker training. I spent a lot of money on a great course of obedience training and to my great surprise, I learned that he wasn't necessarily naughty. He was very intelligent and BORED out of his mind. Clicker training helped me to teach him tricks - to date he can roll over, play dead, high five, low five, reach for the sky (like a cowboy), shake, wave, kiss, jump, sit, lie down and we are working on getting him to lick me when my alarm sounds in the morning. Clicker training was godsend for us and with just one course, we understood each other so much better. And we had a great communication tool that I still use to this day.

4. A walk a day. Having a dog means taking him for walks and just because Yorkies are small doesn't mean that they don't love going for walks. We do at least three walks a week of about an hour long. I love it and the dogs love it. Win-win situation. Plus, it's good for everyone's health.

5. Designated chew toys. Hooves and kongs filled with yummy snacks like frozen peanut butter keeps them busy for hours! Complicated whole raw meals will do the same. If you give him something to chew, he will stop chewing everything else. Whenever you catch him chewing something he shouldn't, simply take it away and hand him the chew toy. He'll catch on quickly.

It doesn't have to be this way. You can change his behavior to make him into a dog that you can live with. Give him a second chance and work with him. He deserves it.
I think you have outlined great suggestions and I hope the OP tries these things whole heartily and give it more time before getting rid of this little guy.

MishyMish is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!