View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
Scoobstersmom
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies Mamma View Post
Hi Diana and Scooby,

Honestly everything I would suggest to you has already been done by you. you have done well to keep him healthy. I might suggest that he has MVD (Mycrovascular Dysplasia) rather than a regular shunt. MVD is a series of tiny shunts in the liver rather than 1 large one, it cannot be fixed surgically, however, with the diet you are feeding him and the meds I would think that by now they would have been able to find a formula that worked for him better to adjust his liver levels.

I guess I wonder how long he was on each medication. my Charlie uses the metrozonizide, he has MVD he has been on it since July last year and takes it 2 times daily. Many member use the mil thistle and swear by it so I will let them speak on that. I have never used it.

There are allot of us here that have babies with liver issues so get ready for some good advise. So far it looks like you are doing the right things by keeping up on his health.

Please post some pictures of your Scooby and again Welcome to YT
Yeah, I am running out of ideas too Charlie's Mama. But I feel like it's the VET that should be coming up with the ideas instead of leaving it to me to figure out. Grrr....

How is MVD diagnosed? Is it visible on ultrasound, or does it require a biopsy? Our vet has suggested a biopsy, but not sure I can agree to that as anesthesia is pretty risky with his liver numbers.

As far as the medications, this all started in September of 2012. So he has been on Denamarin for six months. He has been on Enalapril and Omega 3 a little longer than that. He has fluid filled cysts in his kidneys which caused some protein in the urine, and has high blood pressure. It is controlled well with Enalapril. His UPC is down to 1, so we're comfortable with that and it is not affecting his kidney numbers. He was first on Amoxycillin for about a month and did well, but when he finished it, his appetite fell off, so the vet decided to put him on Clamavox. And he was on that for 90 days. No change. He did not really have any signs of an infection, in that his WBC etc has always been normal, but we did the antibiotics in case there was something hiding that hadn't been found. He has been off Clamavox now for about a month. He was on Metro-however you spell it - zide for about 4 or 5 months. It didn't seem to help or hurt anything either way, and he HATES that pill and will do everything he can to spit it out! The IM vet just took him off that last week, hoping he was having a rare side effect to it that was driving up the ALKP. Haven't noticed any difference since we stopped it. He started Actigall on January 27th, after his last terrible blood test, so it might be helping and it might not. I don't notice any difference, but then he's not really had any symptoms except in the blood work, so I guess I wouldn't notice anything. We're scheduled for blood work in about ten more days, after he's been on Actigall a month, to see if there might be an improvement from that. So there you have it. I am completely out of fresh ideas.

Diana and the Scoobster
(Who talks to much! LOL Not the Scoobster- his crazy mom!)
Scoobstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!