View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

First of all you can't really compare human anatomy to dog anatomy, totally different ball park. But if we were, I would gladly undergo a surgery to prevent pain. I did have appendicitis. It was so painful and if I could have prevented it by having the surgery done beforehand, I would have so I wouldn't have had to suffer. The surgery gave me so much relief that I was so happy to have it done.
Perhaps your vet just wanted to spare you the details. It gets so tedious when you have to explain it over and over and they still don't take your advice. But I do agree, he could have gone about it a different way. You asked a good question therefor you deserve to get a good answer back, not one that is vague and dismissive. I would go with a different vet because mine wouldn't give you that crap, they lay it all out the line for you.
Vets, at least most of them, aren't out to scam you. They want your pet to be healthy and happy. They don't recommend it for the fun of it, it's for the well being of your pet.

Where did you see that only 1% developed pyometra? I can't believe that is true.

Sorry I can't give you scientific proof (probably could if I looked into it) but I can tell you what I have seen working at different vet clinics. Pyo is a lot more common than you think and it is deadly. If only 1% develop it, I sure would hate to see what it would be like if that percentage was higher because I can't even begin to tell you how many dogs I've seen have this as it is so common. Anytime we see a intact female that isn't well, pyo is the number one suspect. Even one of mine developed it and I lost one due to it. Now it usually doesn't happen until they are older 7 years +. My Trixie just went through it this last summer. She was 7, completely healthy until it hit her out of the blue. She was actually scheduled to be spayed and I was just waiting for her to stop her heat cycle but she never did. I was lucky because I caught her very early as I am pretty in tune with her heat cycles and moods and knew something was off. So she was spayed and she was back to acting like a puppy afterwards as she was feeling so much better. I wish I had a video to show you the before and after, it was remarkable.

If you saw a dog that had pyo, you would probably change your mind. It is pretty horrible. Once you see those eyes look at you in pain and all they have to go through, you wish you could have prevented it. There are 2 types of pyo, closed and open. Open your lucky as they will show signs and gradually get ill. Closed they don't show signs until it is almost too late and then it is very bad very quickly. Many don't make it through closed as it just happens so quickly.
I'm not saying your girl will ever have any issue. She may be lucky and never have any problems. But if you could prevent the pain and suffering for her, wouldn't you? Would you rather look her in the eyes right now and tell her she will have to go through a small amount of pain now to get spayed or would you rather look in her eyes and tell her she has to go through so much pain later because she wasn't spayed?

Along with pyometra, mammary cancer is possible but I really haven't seen too many with it. However, false pregnancies, vaginitis and mastitis (all prevented when spayed) I have seen happen many times.

If you put her under for dentals than I don't see the harm in getting her spayed. Very rarely have I ever seen a dog die or have complications from getting spayed. A reaction to the anesthesia or an underlying cause is more likely. The procedure is honestly so simple which is why some places do mass spaying/neutering. The bloodwork and anesthesia is what I would worry about the most.
What are the cons for spaying a dog other than it can be risky to put them under?

I can understand where you are coming from. With my first few dogs years ago, I didn't spay as I felt the same way and it wasn't so common back then. Then they got older and the problems began. Heat cycles were becoming more frequent, mastitis, infections, etc and I've seen it happen to so many that my outlook totally changed.

Now I can say I am so glad I get my girls spayed. I've had way more problems with dogs intact than spayed. In addition, mine were sooooo much happier after being spayed. They bounced back so quickly you wouldn't think they just had their organs removed. I think they have more energy as well. When there are in heat, it wears them down. Plus, no more heat cycles making them feel bitchy and horrible. And much better for me as I don't have to constantly worry about it.
I know you don't want to see your girl in pain, none of us do. But they honestly get over any pain in a day or two. The hard part is keeping them quiet because they just want to get up and run around playing afterwards, that is how much it doesn't hurt them.

You have the right to spay her or not, that is your choice. There are others who don't believe in spaying or neutering either and that is fine, it is a personal choice you make. I am a strong advocate though of spaying/neutering because I do believe the benefits far outweigh the risks.

On a side note, it's kind of weird that you had a breeder that said not to spay. As you said most do, in fact many require it. If spaying was so bad and dangerous, you would think there wouldn't be so many out there that require it?!

The statistics are out there with proof. Look from a reliable source.
Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. I know you will do what you feel is best for her. You can see that she has a very loving mommy.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!