View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Being a mobile dog groomer, I get to know my clients very well as I talk to them while I groom. Therefore, I learn about their dogs and experiences they have had with them. Most of these pets are spayed/neutered.
Here is what happened to the ones that were not.
9 year old toy poodle mix, emergency surgery for mammary cancer and spay done at the same time.
8 years old Min. Poodle never spayed, pyometria and almost lost her. Both these cases were very expensive surgeries.
Unaltered male shih tzu who never marked territory so owner decided not to bother having him neutered. She didn't know however an unaltered male runs a high risk of rectal cancer as well as other cancers. She lost him at 10 years with rectal cancer.
One of my own girls I had not yet bred, ended up with pyometria at 2 1/2 years old. Lucky my Vet was able to save her.
Those are the only stats I have because ALL of the other clients I have groomed in 21 years of being in business, were all spayed/neutered pet dogs.
I am not sure where you got your stats from because I think it has been found that unaltered males or females whether cats or dogs, do end up with health issues in quite high numbers. It is not just a possibility of unwanted puppies born it is also a health issue.
However, it certainly is up to you if you want to risk the health issues with your female and not have her spayed.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!