View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Buster Brown
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I have traveled for 6 hours with Buster. He would get very anxious when I had to put his carrier under the seat for takeoff. I am not sure if he was not getting enough oxygen or just hyperventilated because he frantically clawed at the mesh and his tongue became purple. he is normally fairly laid back. I got a different carrier for our next flight that is more vented. One thing I did like about the first carrier which was a Petflys tote is that I could sneak it up on my lap. I brought a blanket and threw it over my shoulder like a nursing mother would and opened the case a little so I could put my hand in for Buster to rest against. He desperately tried to get out but I had to keep him in. I had to be careful with the attendants as the carriers are supposed to be kept under the seat for the duration. I did have one attendant who would get upset with me and have me put Buster below but I was lucky and had a window seat and between that and the blanket it went okay. But 14 hours is a really long time to be confined human or Yorkie. Perhaps you could sneak them into the airplane toilet with a pee pad. You might want to consider bringing some kind of medication for anxiety because of how long the trip will be. Best wishes for a safe and calm trip.

Last edited by Buster Brown; 02-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!