View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Yorkiemomma78
Senior Yorkie Talker

My youngest daughter was just a year old when we brought home one of our dogs (not a yorkie) and she was fastinated by this walking,"talking" cuddly toy!
Sheīd run around after him,pick him up wrong etc,and of course,when she got exited,the pup did too,and he was also a growler at playtime It was VERY hard to keep them apart,because toddlers love puppies,they just do,so instead of doing that,we took advantage of that oportunity to help my daughter be more gentle with animals and to help the pup get used to being around kids.We also had yorkies back then (not puppies though) and it went fine.
I have 3 kids and have ALWAYS had dogs..always.For the past 10 years,we have had yorkies,but we also have rescues and fosters (outside) of all ages and we have made it work.
It takes time and patience but itīs doable.Initially you have to teach little kids to be gentle and respectful and the puppies to be less hyper around them Itīs not your pups fault,he isnt agressive or naughty..all pups are super playful and they all growl,nip and jump around as they play,you just have to direct his atention away from your son if he gets that way.
It wont always be like this..pups grow up and blend in and kids lose interest,itīll be fine.It takes work though,but itīs worth it

We also have ducks,chickens,donkeys,birds,cats,turtles and peacocks etc etc,so my kids see ALOT of animlas being born and gowing up.Animals and kids can certainly live together in harmony no matter how small the animal
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!