View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
DexterBoy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraydisc View Post
I know this thread is a year old but please be careful with apples--the skin is a huge choking hazard. I lost my Yorkie because of it.

This past November I was chopping apples in the kitchen, and a piece no bigger than my thumbnail fell on the floor with skin around the edge.

My Yorkie who was 4 years old (and on bronchial dilators for collapsing trachea so perhaps this made it easier for her to choke?) snatched it up and ran away to the living room to eat it.

She ended up choking and I was alone and trying to resucitate her.

There was some bad luck involved, as I couldn't get her to the emergency animal hospital in time because it was the end of hurricane Sandy and we live in NYC-don't own a car. There was a gas shortage so it took about twenty minutes to even get on the phone with a cab company and another ten to get someone over.

But long story short, just take all the precautions and only do apples without skin in tiny bits. You may fee them to your dog all the time and nothing happens--I did--but then there's that one time when horrible luck strikes.
I'm really sorry about your loss
I'm yet to give my baby apples, but now I will know to peel it first!
DexterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!