Thread: Size prediction
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
pookybear
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Size prediction

So many here have a lot of experiences with yorkies. I've read that if in the history of the yorkies family there was a rather big one, the puppy produced by smaller parents may in fact have a big one

My breeder had 2 puppies, both born within a couple of weeks of each other. Same father, different mothers. But when I asked for the parent's sizes, he had told me the smaller couple had a larger baby while the large couple had a small baby. Didn't add up at first so I called our veterinarian, who explained that this does happen and that being the breeder was in good affiliation, I could feel good about buying from the breeder.

So here's what I'm wondering, I read that a smaller mother, compared to the father, will produce a larger puppy, while a larger mother, compared to the father, produce smaller puppies making delivery easier for the mother.

My breeder said that he breeds quality for show dogs vs a small dog. He did sell me the smallest one because I have back issues and needed a small dog to tote with me.

Equations: Help me figure this out.

According to the breeder:
Father weighs 4 lbs. 13 oz 8.66" height
Mother weighs 4 lbs 6 oz 7" height

I measured the parents myself, which I could error.
Didn't weigh them but the breeder said the mother was now overweight after having puppies...she was a chunk
I measured their height as:
Father 9.5 inches
Mother 9 inches

So here's my pooky-bear at 1 day from 13 weeks:
2 lbs 3 oz 7" height

The breeder said Pooky's characteristics would be like his fathers, in facial features etc. But I didn't ask him how much Pooky may end up weighing or if he'd be taller than his parents. Anybody know? To my understanding if you have a smaller father to the mother, you get a smaller adult dog if there's no history of a larger family member in the past, but I don't know what a smaller mom to father produces...they're so close in size, so does that make the kid turn out almost the same??? Inquiry mind wants to know.
pookybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!