View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Another story

Question: My Yorkie guardsmy shoes when I leave them by the door. My kids tease her with my shoes. She goes nuts barking and snapping atthem please help !

How to change mildguarding behavior
Maybe your kids think it is funny to see a small Yorkie act ferocious about your shoes. Like you I worry about guarding,and know it can snowball in to a real obsession and even transfer to more items. Talk to your children and tell them it would not be funny if a big Rottie acted that way, because their bite could really do damage. It is not agood way for a Yorkie to act either. She could bite someone while trying to protect the shoes and that would be very bad. Tell them everyone must work together to make her stop. #1. When she guards the shoes say a very firm'ENOUGH' and just ignore her and walk right by. If she is leaving the shoes and guarding the area around them go to #2. Say a firm 'Enough' and squeak her toy and toss it in the opposite direction, away from the shoes. If she leaves the shoes that is good, she is not too obsessed with them yet .Praise her when she goes to the toy, and say 'Good Toy' and you can even giveher a tiny treat or little bit of play time attention. #3. If she won't leave the shoes for a toy or treat, then you have to use aversion correction. Say the cue word, 'ENOUGH !" if she keeps guarding barking and so on, squirt her with one quick blast of water. That will break her obsessive trance. Also a rolled up pair of socks can be thrown at her from across the room, it is ok to hit her with the socks, they will not hurt her, only startle her. It is better if she doesn't see someone toss the socks, that way they seem to just appear and jump on her. Which is exactly what you want her to think. I know some trainers shake a noisy can of pennies but, with Yorkies I have found asquirt of water or rolled up socks works better. Noise seems to trigger more barking. #4. You can change your own habits. Don't leave the shoes where she can get to them. You could buy avery cheap plastic box/bowl with a snap shut lid and put the shoes in it. O rtoss them in a closet. #5. Give up the shoes, throw them away. From now on be quick to stop any guarding in the future.

Last edited by Teresa Ford; 02-08-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Teresa Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!