View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Cha Cha
Donating YT 500 Club Member

We don't have the alpha problems or problems with other dogs, but my Mylee does have some pretty severe anxiety and behavior issues and is a runner.

I have been spending a great deal of time training her to the open door or when I leave not to rush the door and try to bolt.

First what I did was throw kibble away from the door and as she went for the kibble, I slipped out the door. After she got used to the kibble, I started working with her on the stay command. I take her to a rug which is away from the door, give her a small treat then ask her to stay while I walk to and out the door. If she comes off her rug, during my walk to the door, I redirect. This gives me plenty of time to get out the door without worry of her being right behind me or under my feet. (I so worry about one of them getting slammed in the door too.) This has been a life saver for us and her wanting to bolt (plus she was aggressive towards us as we tried to leave and this has completely stopped that behavior as well).

Now, she has gotten to where she doesn't need the treat I just take her to her rug and ask her to stay and she does really well most times. She is almost to the point that she'll take herself to the rug as I walk out the door. She's trying. It has taken a lot of patience and time to get her to this point but she probably wants to learn more than any other dog I've ever had. She's very smart. If I don't tell her to stay, she'll try to come to the door with me, and even revert back to being aggressive as I leave so she knows the routine, and expects it.

Some people have gates up in front of their doors too which is a good idea if you have a runner.

Good luck and welcome to YT!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!