Thread: Bitting Badly
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
StewiesMom
Stewie Rox the Sox
Donating Member

I agree with what Aimee said on chewing and here's what I did for potty training -- not that Stewie is 100% or anything, but he's about 80% on bad days.

I guess the most important thing is to praise constantly if they go on their pad or come close to going on it (front paws on, back off). I also give a small trainer treat. He sometimes just goes less than a teaspoon if he wants a treat. He first makes sure I'm looking.

Does Mocha or Tia have accidents in the same place? Well, move their pee pad to wherever they like to go. Stewie kept going behind this chair over and over even though I cleaned it very well. Finally, I moved his pee pad there. After he was going on the pee pad behind the chair, I moved it to where I wanted it (in a discreet corner) He goes on it consistently with a couple exceptions.

#2 is another story. He poos next to the pad 20% of the time or so. This may be controversial, but if I catch Stewie in the act of peeing where's he's not supposed to, I firmly tap him on the nose and tell him "No. Make potty on your pad" and place him on the pad. If he's sniffing around, I keep repeating myself and if he's not listening, I race over there and pick him up and put him on it.

When we go outside and I want him to go I keep telling him to "make potty"
I realize that no one can watch their dog 24/7, but if show him the pad and put him/her on it a million times a day and they assoicate a word like "make potty" with actually going, then I think you will have some luck. It took a long time for me. I got Stewie @ 16 weeks and he's almost 6 mos old now and just becoming reliable with going where he's supposed to go.

To be blunt, it sucks. He never lets me know he has to go besides sniffing around. I don't think I will ever be able to teach him to go outside now that he's been going inside.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!