Thread: New to YT!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Yorkiedaze
My hairy-legged girls
Donating Member

First off, welcome to the YT family! It's always so great to hear about people who are doing their homework before committing to adopt. Even though I have only Yorkies doesn't mean they are the only breed I would have. What made you decide on this breed? Have you researched other small non-shedding breeds?
I love the tenacity and intelligence of the Yorkie breed. Some are more stubborn about house training than others, but I don't think it's any different than any other breed. They are high maintenance if you want them to have a nice longer coat. It can be expensive at the groomer, so you may want to invest in a dog clipper and a good pair of scissors. I've always done my own grooming. They usually need a bath once a week, but we get by with every two weeks in the winter months. Conditioners are a must. Most dog shampoos work well but there are some that do better. You will get lots of help in that department, as well as what to feed.
I think to start out with the basics you will need an expen, crate, pee-pee pads, water and food dish, brush, comb, nail clippers shampoo, conditioner, toys, beef femur bone boiled and marrow removed, step in harness and leash (mostly for training to wear it for a couple months) sweater & jacket, crate pads, blanket for inside the crate and something to drape over the crate. Then have a Vet. appointment set up by the time you bring your baby home. Don't let the baby run around on any Vet. floor, store floors or go for walks until shots are completed. I even take a blanket to put in shopping carts so their feet don't slip through.
Have a dog booster car seat or at least a strap that attaches to the harness then to the seat belt which is what I use. Pet Auto Safety Restraint Strap - Black | 2 sizes You may want to keep a roll of paper towels in the car at all times, and maybe some dog wipes.
I'm sure you will get more information than what I've mentioned. Keep us posted on how your doing with your search.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!