View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobohyde View Post
Yes, I think he is probably not handling the higher protein well. However, which came first, the chicken or the egg? or in this case, did the food cause the issue or did he already have a slight issue and the food amplified it. Before the test results, the vet had recommended he go on a senior food with a mid-20s % protein. Current food (for past 4 months) is 36% protein and grain free. We haven't changed it yet because after getting his test results back, the vet said to hold off until after his current round of tests. I am anxious to get him off it, though. Higher protein foods are all rated so high, you think you are doing the best for your dog by getting him the best. Then when he started having the pee problem, I did more research and I come up with all these people whose dogs have had all kinds of serious problems after switching to high protein grain-free.
I have the same dilemma chicken or the egg...is it the food I'm feeding them or is it an existing problem. I really hope it's nothing serious & a little tweak in diet will correct the problem w/Columbo.

I have read that higher protein kibble is not necessarily the best food to give, bc of the calcium/phosphorus levels or something like that & it's hard on their kidneys. I'm still not understanding it 100%, so can't give any real advice...sorry.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!