Thread: New to YT!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
NamelessAria
Yorkie Talker

Question New to YT!

Hey everyone, as the subject says I'm new to YT. I stumbled on this website several months ago when I started researching getting a dog and I've found myself coming back a lot to browse the forums.

So, quick question! My fiance and I really want to bring a little bundle of furry Yorkie love into our home. We've been talking about possibly getting a dog for over a year and I've spent several months researching different breeds etc. and now I think a Yorkie is what we want. I'm a little concerned though because I've never owned a dog before at all and I've been scared of dogs for most of my life after a dog attack (friend's dog) when I was little that left me with scars for years. So I absolutely want a small, tiny dog under 10 pounds and it has been pretty non-negotiable with my fiance that if we get a dog it has to be small. I just feel safer around something small. I've heard Yorkies can be hard to train so can someone who has never had a dog realistically expect to be able to train a Yorkie? My fiance has to travel a lot for work so he will be around some nights, and on the weekends to help but I'm not sure that is enough consistency for the puppy which means I'm the main trainer I guess.
The other question I have is if it is absolutely necessary for someone to be home with the dog most of the day everyday for the dog's entire life? I was considering rescuing instead of buying (my fiance quickly shot down that idea since he thinks I would be better off with a well socialized puppy since I'm still working past my fear of dogs a little) but I noticed a lot of the rescues 100% refuse to adopt to anyone who is gone from the home for more than 2-3 hours a day each day or can except to be sometime during the dog's life. I'm home pretty much all day every day right now (yay for on-line classes) but I expect to be working at some point.

Okay so I totally lied that was not a quick question! Sorry for the novel there.
NamelessAria is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!