View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
MyDearSam
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I would LOVE to see a 20# Yorkie, try to go down a rat hole to do the job that breed was designed to do initially!!!!! You have to understand what a Yorkie is bred to do....the history behind the breed. Yorkshire Terriers are ratters. That is their job and the standard for a Yorkshire Terrier ensures that the breed is able to continue to do what it was designed to do! Again, the standard dictates what is acceptable in the conformation ring....if people threw out the breed standard, and started breeding willy nilly to get Yorkies of any size and color and personality and "look", there would absolutely be total irradication and extinction of the breed as it is was originally bred to be! The standard is the template which we go by, which responsible breeders try to nail with every litter they produce. We do miss and these adorable, lovable, precious babies are no less Yorkies, and they are equally accepted by AKC for registration as Yorkies, you just can not use them to exemplify what the breed is SUPPOSED to be looking like! The AKC recognizes any purebred Yorkie of any weight...you just can not SHOW and expect to win with a Yorkie that does not exemplify the breed standard! Kind of like a 60 year old woman, weighing in at 250#, competing in Miss America pagent. Yes, she is female, just as nice as she can be, even temperment, hard worker, great wife and mother, but she is not quite "the standard" expected in a Miss America contestant!
I cannot argue with your expertise. Sorry I spoke out of turn.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!