View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
MyLittleLooster
Yorkie Talker

Default Liver shunt surgery for a Yorkie?

Hey guys! I just joined this site. I've been reading posts on here about yorkies ever since I got my Louie. I recently posted a question on Yahoo Answers, but figured yorkietalk would be a much better choice.

My Yorkie, Louie, was diagnosed with liver failure back in May (ate something poisonous). Since then, we have been treating him for a "bad liver" by feeding him The Hill's Diet K/d, giving him lactulose, and clavamox.

He recently was slowly switched to Royal Canin and taken off of his clavamox. He did extremely well without the clavamox, but most likely got a GI tract infection from the Royal Canin.

Because he didn't do so well with the new food, and because of his elevated bile acids (the post-results were over 300 in October), an internal medicine veterinarian has diagnosed Louie with a liver shunt. I understand that shunts are very common in Yorkies, but he's been doing completely fine with the medicine and low protein diet.

My question is, should we consider the shunt surgery? What about treating him medically? I know he wouldn't live as long, but there's a slight change he might not make it through/after the surgery. Past experience would be quite helpful.

Note- we are planning on making an appointment with a surgeon within the next couple of months to talk about things.

Also, he just turned one yesterday! I was so excited we made it through the year. It was a rough one, but the whole process has brought me closer to him, and I couldn't be more blessed to have him in my life.
He's extremely playful and barks at the sight of his leash. He loves going "bye bye," and my mom is his favorite person. Ever.
MyLittleLooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!