View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Marioana
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Surface Preference?

My Chewie is the greatest dog in the world , except when he is going potty on the carpet . I think he developed a carpet preference and I wonder how to teach him that is not ok...
I read all the articles on how to teach them to go outside, but I want to teach him to go on the pads, not outside and have no idea how...
I have those washable pads from EZwhelp ( I bought them because the breeder was using the same thing), and he knows he has to go there, but he "chooses" to forget sometimes, and goes on the carpet in front of the pads. I recently bought a pad holder, hoping that because it's a different surface underneath the pads he will make the distinction more easily, between the pad and carpet, and not miss, but I think now is worse because he "misses" more.
He sleeps with us on the bed, and in the morning when I wake up I pick him up and put him on the pad and he does no.1. In the next half an hour he does no.2 (on the pad if he doesn't have access to the rest of the house. If I let him free in the house he goes no.2 in the living or dining - both places are out of sight, in the dining he goes behind the table and in the living in a corner that is the last part of the room you see when you enter.) I give him treats when he goes on the pad, and praise him, I don't scold him if i don't catch him in the act, just clean it and use Nature's miracle and still he misses.

We were gone for 3 weeks for the holidays, and we left him with some friends, and they tried to make him go outside which he totally refused. He will wait until he came in the house and did No.2 there.
From what I understood he only did No.2 on a carpet or rug, but No.1 he did it also on tile (which might be explainable by the different setting of the new house and lack of supervision). Please help me understand what am I doing wrong...
Marioana is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!