View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiesMom View Post
If you are not comfortable with the answers/care that your current vet is giving, I would most definitely seek a 2nd opinion. See if it is a UTI. Also, it seems like I've read high protein diets can lead to this. I'm not versed on the foods you listed..are they high in protein?

Hoping someone with experience in this replies soon. I really can only reply with what I recall reading along my journey here on YT.

Prayers.
The Hill's C/D is a prescription food for urinary tract health. It's supposed to lower magnesium, phosphorus & calcium levels to discourage struvite crystals from forming. They don't necessarily get high protein foods, but a high protein raw meat based diet is beneficial for them bc of the acidity (dogs should have an acidic urine @ 6-6.5) & it will lower alkaline Ph.

I've read that some dogs have struvite crystals w/out any infection. In this case, it's perfectly normal. I think Momo is this case, he has no infection bc his Ph is perfectly normal, where it should be @ 6-6.5 & he has little struvites. Again, he's on antibiotics that he doesn't need.

I'm worried about Princess bc she has a lot of struvites crystals & her Ph is a little high @ 8 (alkaline). It has a lot to do w/diet (for example eating high PH foods like legumes, fruits (apples, bananas, etc.) & veggies (potatoes, celery, etc.) I was feeing them Canine Caviar which has chick peas (legumes) & Honest kitchen which has all those fruits & veggies listed! Now in her case, she might most likely have an infection, so I'm glad she's on antibiotics now & it should help clear it up. Turbo also has a high Ph, but no crystals. Mimi's is where it should be.

I've decided to Home Cook for them (very important it be a balanced one), will even try raw (not premade) if it helps. I can control what goes in their food & it will be so healthy for them. I spent hrs reading online to find all this info that the vets should have known...disappointing to say the least. We are switching vet hospitals.

I encourage everyone to have a urinalysis (with culture & sensitivity if you suspect a UTI or just have it done w/for peace of mind!) done, esp if they've never had one done & they're 5-7+ years old. It doesn't cost much & it's a very good prognosis. Some are on a all kibble diet & it's very hard on their tiny kidneys.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!