Thread: Exasperation!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
MyDearSam
YT 500 Club Member

Sad Exasperation!!!

I seriously need to puppy vent. Sorry this is so long.

Three days after switching Sam to the Simply Nourish food, he's stopped eating it. I was mixing a teaspoon of the canned chicken and rice puppy formula with 1/4 cup kibble in the morning. He ate about 1/2 or less of that. I've been leaving dry kibble down while I'm working. If he eats 2 or three kibble, I'd be surprised. In the evening, I've been wetting it with warm water, and then he'll eat it if I hand feed him. Maybe a tablespoon total. This morning, he wouldn't touch the wet/dry mix. He wouldn't eat the moistened. I even broke down and mixed a tablespoon of Cesar in it, which he usually loves. He ate maybe a half teaspoon. He's been drinking plenty of water, playing, peeing, and pooping. His gums are pink, coat is shiny. His eyes do seem really runny, like the top of his muzzle is soaking wet between his nose and eyes (see pic).

This is the second food change in 2 weeks. I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to continue playing food roullette with him! Sorry, I just don't. Not to mention the cost of the food and multiple trips to the store. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on other sites like PetMD that advocate 'tough love' feeding, or not offering him anything other than what I want him to eat. I am concerned about hypo, so I've given him Nutri Cal. He was eating dry food just fine before I brought him home. I think I spoiled him by home cooking and feeding him soft food. I just don't know what to do! I don't want to keep taking food back to PetSmart. I don't even know how many times they'll let me do that.

Grooming is another issue altogether. His coat is soooo thick! I try to brush/comb every day. But he fights me so bad when I try to do anything but his back. He clamps his jaws down on the comb or brush, wiggles and tries to push them away, nips at my hands. I stop when he starts vocally complaining. I've tried distracting him with treats, etc. It's just not working, and he's getting horrible knots on his sides. He pees on his belly hair, and it's a mess. If he won't let me clean or comb, he's sure not going to let me use clippers to trim the hair! So far the only grooming I can do is cutting his nails. He's a champ at that. I've just GOT to get him on the same page, or it's going to keep getting worse!

I feel like I've done everything wrong with this puppy since I started looking back in September. What's supposed to be a happy time has turned into anything but. I love my boy, but I'm so stressed all the time, I don't feel like I'm getting to enjoy the puppy time. All I do is worry about him. I get no help or understanding at home. Hubby says "he's just a dog; he'll be fine" and blows off my concerns. He fusses about accidents or whining or pretty much anything else.

*sigh*

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Exasperation!!!-runny-eyes.jpg  

Last edited by MyDearSam; 02-02-2013 at 10:35 AM.
MyDearSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!