View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
seastheday
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default pet meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kumiko View Post
Greetings!

So, because of my new tought financial circumstances, I've decided to keep my furbabe's health as a priority, withouth getting me dumbed from my place or starve to dead.

My Kiko is my everything, & I don't want to stop providing him with the best I can... That's why I'm here begging for guidance...

1. He's 3yo. Suffers from skin allergies caused by our neightbor's cats fleas. So I've to put him on Temaril-P about 3-4 times a year for his itching.
2. He has 3 baby teeth retained, & is due for a dental. I've saved for that & I'm close from being able to affor that. (It will cost $360)
3. He's on Comfortis for flea control, & I like it better than all topicals because he doesn't rubb it on the carpet & actually LOVES to screw the pill. But he just got his last dosage.

Do you know of an association, website, or any way to get Comfortis or any medication at more affordable prices? It's not a secret that vets overprice medications.

I'm a college student who recently had to drop my job to accelerate my performance in college. I'm single (no 2nd person support). I'm not asking for donations, just guidance please! He will also need training lessons for his barking, a harness... Omg! Feel stressed because all these expenses came at a bad moment.

Thank you so much! Feel free to ask for more details etc

Loves,
Patty
Hi Patty. I just finished reading an article from Consumer Reports and learned that pharmacies like Walgreens and Target have pet programs. If you pet is taking a drug that humans take the pharmacy will fill them, and since, according to consumers, the vets generally mark up drugs 100% getting meds from pharmacies is a whole lot cheaper. I just paid $3 per pill for an antibiotic for my little girl. Read the article that night Just ask the vet to write a script for you. I believe you have to sign the pet up, but seems that people are taking advantage of the lower prices. We did it when my Yorkie Barkley was on lasix - paid pennies for the drug as opposed to $13 for 2 weeks worth from the vet (1/2 pill 2x a day). While this is not the post that inquired about pet insurance, I will respond here anyway. Consumers also reported on pet insurance. Their opinion is it is not worth it. They don't cover yearly visits, and other than catastrophic illness' the insurance will cost a ton of $$$ more over a 10 year period than over the 10 year life of a dog. I was getting quotes for our two new puppies when I came across the article. As the quotes were coming in, I saw that the article was spot on. So, I am signing my dogs up at a pharmacy that has a pet program and saving $40+ a month on dog insurance.
seastheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!