View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
gontygirl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterBoy View Post
We do have same problem with Dex and trying to discourage it ad much as we can.
As for puppy classes, I don't like that they mix all types of dogs there. So we decided to train him on our own. He is 12 weeks now, when is a good time to start training him (such as "sit" and so on). Should we do it every day or give him brakes?
I don't know if you're a working "mom" or not...but I would be training him asap. when my puppies come into our house the training begins for come, sit, go get it, stay and lie down right away. They learn quickly...especially if a treat is involved. I had a German shepherd that wasn't keen on treats but toys REALLY yanked his chain so we rewarded him with that. It depends on each individual dog. The easiest dogs to train are the dogs that are foodies. I happen to have 2 foodies now so it's very easy for me. You can youtube the details on specific training techniques so you can get a visual. I have had puppies so "on point" on even potty training that, even tho their bladders were not developed enough to "hold it", the habit of knowing that "we're going out to potty now" gave the illusion that they were house broken. Start them off in good habits and they perform habitually all on their own doing the right thing...cus they don't know any different. Let us know how it goes... Good luck. Have FUN! Remember...there is no greater a bonding experience than the bonding that comes from training your dog. They dream to be "good dogs" and with training (which feels like a game/play time)..how can't a baby love to hear "Good dog" for a good period of time?? (Hopefully you take advantage of any distraction and/or situation to keep the training a part of your daily life. OH! Yes, a pocket full of treats is a great idea too...

Last edited by gontygirl; 01-30-2013 at 04:49 AM.
gontygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!