View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilize View Post
Coconut oil is fine topically, but fish oil is much more effective if you are looking for a dietary supplement. Coconut oil is plant based and causes inflammation in the dog's short digestive tract.

It's worthwhile to try again to introduce your dogs to red meat. Dogs need to eat red meat because there are nutrients in red meat that aren't in white meats. Those meats are fattier too which is great for their skin, coats and overall health. Fat is good for carnivores. In nature they would mostly eat red meat and most dogs, if adjusted properly, will do very well on red meats like pork, sheep and beef hearts. Add little by little to their usual meals until they eat whole meals of red meat. You will see an improvement in their coats and overall health. I did.

I don't feed any veggies or fruits at all and I don't give BARF type pre-packaged meals anymore. Carnivores get everything they need from meat; it's the circle of life - the sun's energy goes into the plant, which goes into the herbivore which goes into the carnivore. Carnivores are designed to thrive on a diet of meat, bone and organ. If you're worried about balance, you can check the USDA's food list to check that the meat does contain all the needed nutrients. You can research any type of food here: Foods List

One of the best reasons to feed raw is because you know exactly what is in the food and sadly that's not true with pre-packaged meals. My dogs do very well on a balance of 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ (of which 5% is liver) and it's even cheaper than pre-made food. You are welcome to join this group for more information: https://www.facebook.com/groups/261761471359/. There are loads of files and great reading material.

I hope you find something that works for your dog!
While I do not necessarily agree in all the magical claims people make toward coconut oil, I think coconut oil is just fine for dogs. Yes, it is plant based, however it is not an inflammatory food in the slightest. It is also helpful to dogs with Inflammatory bowel disease. I really like it for myself too - it's one of the few oils I will use for myself.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!