View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
bobohyde
Donating YT Addict

Default Question about grain free food and peeing

Just wanted to see if anyone else that was feeding grain free has an opinion on this. I started feeding Columbo Wellness Core grain free a couple months ago. Columbo has always been "well fed" shall we say, and weighed a bit more than he should. As a young adult, he was pushing 10lbs until I switched him to low fat dog food, where he leveled off at about 8.5 lbs. The breeder told me he should be around 7.5 lbs, but the vet never told me he was over weight at 8.5. Anywhoo, we switched to the grain free food when his previous food changed the formula on us. To our surprise, he has lost another pound. He is now 7.4, which is where the breeder said he always should be. He is 9 years old and believe me, he still does not look skinny. But he doesn't resemble a sausage shape anymore, either. He really looks good. And I think the little extra weight loss is good for him, especially since he had LP/ACL surgery on both knees last year (doing great, by the way). I didn't expect the weight loss, but it makes sense because there is a higher protein, lower carb content in his new food. So here's the question... recently, he has to pee a lot. Not when he's being a couch potato, but when he's up and around, he keeps wanting to go out to pee. Even after he's JUST gone out, he wants to go out again and takes ANOTHER long pee! We just started noticing this in the last couple weeks. My husband googled it, worried that maybe it's something serious, and he found a discussion online about someone who's dog switched to EVO (very high protein content) and had the same symptoms. That man's vet thought the dog was having trouble processing the high protein food and recommended a lower protein food. The EVO was something like 42% protein. Wellness Core grain free is 36% protein. Columbo is acting completely normal except for the peeing. When he is running around all excited after Daddy gets home in the evening, he is frequently asking to go out to pee again. Has anyone else had this experience with grain free foods? Columbo will be going in for his regular checkup in about a month, so as yet, I don't see any behavior to go in early. I'd also really hate to change his food since it has great reviews and he loves it.

Last edited by bobohyde; 01-29-2013 at 07:13 AM.
bobohyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!