View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
gontygirl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieDad1979 View Post
I'm a new Yorkie owner and my little Daisy is in this horrible biting stage!! I've purchased rawhide's, toys, kongs, I've tried everything...I got on google and looked up play biting and was told to make a loud sound every time she tried to bite me, boy this really worked!! she thinks it's a big game what am I doing wrong? Someone told me about PETSMART puppy class, but I've heard mixed feedback about this class has anyone had any success with PETSMART?

I'd appreciate any help this forum can give me!

Best regards,
A Stressed Yorkie Dad
This is easy to change and stop but it takes CONSISTENCY. If you can do that then things should change within a 2 week time span (around about). I have extensive experience raising puppies and this has worked each and every time. Since you're dealing with a puppy it will change quickly, however there is a little biting habit formed so if you commit to this you can see results...and quickly.

Never approach your puppy in "a play" without a toy in your hand. Since your pup is used to going for the human hand/toy, you'll have to switch it up but firstly use a negative sound like "shhhttt!!!!" loudly or "NO!" and pop the toy in his mouth making the toy more fun than your hand. (It's so hard to explain in words...I hope you understand what I mean...). Wiggle that toy all around her head...make her chase it on the bed, have it be a squeeky one if she likes that, or hairy, whatever it takes to make her delight in it. This toy needs to be an extension of your hand whenever you plan to engage in play time. All dogs hate to upset us so a negative loud "No" has to be in your canine vocabulary...puppies learn what is acceptable from playing so it's the best time NOW to show what is allowed and what is not. She'll get it...but she won't get it if you're not consistent and on the ball. Perhaps youtube has some video on how to do this if I haven't explained it very well. Good luck
gontygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!