View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
KazzyK810
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

First off... Congratulations on your new puppy, Brody!

After my first yorkie, Chelsea, passed at 11yrs old, I went three years without a yorkie, until I got ZoE, so I know what it's like to go alot of years between puppy training.

Are the human pads you're talking about the disposable kind or the cloth washable kind?

As to Brody being able to utilize his pads inside and also outside, I honestly don't know if that would work or not. I know there are members on here whose dogs go both inside on pads and outside on grass. I guess I'm not understanding why you want to put a pad on your outside porch?

For me personally, I'm very strict about potty training. I expect a 100% reliability (unless ill). I have found it best to determine a potty area and stick with that one area. With my last yorkie, Chelsea, her potty area was in the laundry room. I had a large 3 level home and no matter where she was in that home, she knew to go to her potty area in the laundry room if she had to go. Before I got ZoE, I'd moved to a much smaller house (kids went away to college so downsized to something perfect for just me). ZoE's potty area is in the hallway. She always goes there. She knows that's her spot. I think it's confusing to have multiple areas.

I take it you are worried about Brody climbing on the crate and getting over the side of the pen? ZoE would have definately done that as a pup, as she was a strong climber. I didn't use a crate inside her pen for that very reason. She just had a bed in there, a potty pad, water & toys. If you are pad training in a pen, there's no reason to use a crate. (I do, however, think it's good for a dog to be famliar with a crate, as there are times when a dog will be confined such as at the vet's before & after any surgery.)

Hopefully, between when you first posted and now you've experience some pottying success! I hope you check back & let us know how Brody is doing
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!