Thread: Canine Caviar
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #49
my2boyz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boyz View Post
O.k. so...the canned variety I just bought is the Venison in the pink can and it does not contain carageenan. The ingredients are: Venison, water sufficient for processing, venison tripe, liver and guar gum.
This must be the 'new' formula?

The dry food I bought is the grain free Wilderness ALS formula and the phosphorus level is: .8% min. and the protein is 26% min.

The ingredients are: Venison meal, split peas, yeast culture, lamb fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), sun-cured alfalfa, sun-cured kelp, FOS, calcium proteinate, sodium chloride, lecithin, choline chloride, parsley, fenugreek, peppermint, taurine, selenium, whole clove garlic, vitamin E, zinc proteinate, vitamin C, papaya, rose hips, yucca schidigera extract, niacin, beta-carotene, manganese proeteinate, vitamin D3, biotin, vitamin A, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, potassium proteinate, folic acid.

I do know they are 4 and 4 1/2 star foods on the rating charts and it contains none of the ingredients to avoid on the Dog Food Project website.

This gets so confusing to someone who knows just enough to get herself in trouble! lol! Is there anything in here that I need to be concerned about?

All I know for sure is that Moo has only been eating this for a couple of days and she isn't licking or scratching anywhere and it's nice to see her actually get to rest. Oh, and no doggie breath or dog food breath after her meals.
So, before everyone abandons this thread can someone please tell me if there are any ingredients listed above ^ that I should be concerned with?

Mimimomo...I know you posted a link to info on the guar gum and from what I read last night it appears to be a source of fiber in dog foods (if I remember what I read correctly, it was late) and if you get too much fiber, yes, it can cause nausea, cramps and diarrhea and fiber also naturally reduces cholsterol in humans. So, is the information on that page relevant to humans or dogs?

The canned food states it is for supplemental feeding only...like mixed with dry food. I didn't find anything bad about guar gum in dog foods on the pages I read.

Am I missing something or am I understanding things correctly?
my2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!